Wednesday, September 19, 2012

HOLY HANNAFORD...

No, this isn't an episode of Hoarders...this is my dinning room.  Yep, it really is.  Fortunately, it doesn't look like this all the time.  We are having some work done to the kitchen.  I have dreams of an endlessly big beautiful kitchen that I can bake in and cook delicious meals.  However, my dreams come with a hefty price tag, that I can't afford.  So, we are doing a couple upgrades.
This is a picture of piece of my kitchen on Sunday night, after we had emptied everything out of it and got it all ready for the upgrades.  As you can see, my stove is a counter top stove.  Only 3 of the 4 burners work...well 3 and 1/2.  One of them is temperamental.  Above my stove, you will notice my oven.  Yes, that is my oven, not a microwave.  Everyone thinks I have the biggest microwave they have ever seen.  Truth is, it's the smallest oven they have ever seen!  I can't fit my Thanksgiving turkey in that thing.  The handle fell off about a month after we moved in.  This dinosaur burns everything and undercooks it at the same time...hmmmm, interesting!  Since I love to bake and cook, I almost felt like  I was being tortured. This maybe a little over dramatic, but if you don't have the right tools to do what you love, it really stinks!

We talked to a couple of contractors and found a great guy to do the work.  Basically, they are taking out the stove and oven and making a shelf for my microwave and putting the dishwasher where the stove was.  Next, they are going to make a new spot for the oven, where the dishwasher was.  The dishwasher is to the right of the sink.

Sunday was a rough day.  I was feeling sick and had to drive back from Bangor.  Also, go grocery shopping, and do laundry.  The coaches were coming over for a coached meeting at 2 and the Pats were on at 1.  The biggest task was to empty the kitchen out...that's hard work with a 2 year old running around and a house full of coaches.  I had to do something really easy for dinner.  I went with homemade turkey meatballs in the crock pot.  We had meatball subs!  They actually were lovely.

Homemade Turkey Meatballs

Here's what you need:

2 pounds of ground turkey meat
2 eggs
grated Parmesan cheese
Italian flavored bread crumbs
dried basil, oregano, and other assorted Italian seasoning
salt and peper to taste

Here's what you do:

In a big bowl, put the turkey meat and all the ingredients listed above.  Once you have everything in the pool...get in there with your hands and mush it all up.  I highly recommend taking your rings off before you do this task!  When it is ready to roll..literally, start taking chunks of your meat mixture out of the bowl and roll between your hands.  I like to make a nice medium meatball.

Now, if you are a true Italian, you take your meatballs and put them in olive oil and try them up in a pan.  My grandfather would kill me if he knew, but I don't fry them.  I typically put them on a pan and throw them in the oven.  This time, I put them in the crock pot with a couple of cans...grandpa rolling in his grave right now...of sauce.  I set the crock to 2 and a half house and let those babies cook.

For the meatball subs, I bought a couple of bags of rolls and some shredded cheese.  The coaches and their others really enjoyed it!  The Babes LOVES meatballs...so, this meal goes over well in our house!

I didn't take any pictures this weekend...next weekend I promise!!

Well, I hope this week and the construction goes by fast...I'm not sure how long I can live like this.  I will keep you updated with photos and we decided to try to eat at home all week in the construction zone...so I will be posting some recipes for you to check out!

Thank you for checking in and checking me out!  Feel free to leave a commnet!!


No comments:

Post a Comment