Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wednesday DIY...

Well, since my walking partner was not available this morning and I am procrastinating heading into school to set up my classroom - I decided to work on a craft that I've been meaning to do for awhile now.  I took your basic mason jar and turned it into a hand soap dispenser for my kitchen and bathroom.  I am having a kitchen upgrade done next week and thought this would be lovely for my kitchen's new look!  I found this idea on Pintrest.  I don't know about you, but I am addicted to Pintrest and I pin a-lot!  But, I often find that I can never make anything look as wonderful as those experts do...so I thought I would give it a go...





First, I gathered all the goods I needed for the craft:
Hammer
Mason Jars...you can really go with any size you like
Nail
Hot glue gun
Liquid soap (I went to the local dollar store and bought a couple of bottles of soap...whatever works for you, will work in the jar!)

Here is all the stuff I used!  Please check out the football themed hammer that Coach received as a gift from his team last year.  He always tells the team, "Be the hammer, not the nail."  Also, disregard the messy state of my dining room/craft room!!


First thing you do is take your mason jar and find the center of the top.  Using the nail and hammer make a series of hole.  This is where you will put the soap dispenser.  
This might be the most time consuming part of the whole craft.  I made three or four holes close to each other and this created one large hole.  You want to make sure the hole is big enough to fit the dispenser all the way to the base! Once you are done making the hole, turn the metal plate over and fold back the metal.

Next, make sure the dispenser (the straw part) fits in the jar...you might need to snip it a little.

Once the straw fits well you will need to hot glue the dispenser to the top of the mason jar.  You really don't need a lot of glue, but you want to make sure that you have enough to secure the dispenser to the top of the jar.  At this point, if you want to, you can also use a little hot glue to secure the metal plate to the ring of the mason jar.  This is not a necessary step, but you might find it easier to refill your jar this way!
So here it is!  The final product...not bad!  The recipe that I saw for this did an extra step of taping up the jar and spray painting the top of the jars white.  I didn't find this necessary...I like the prim and rustic look of the metal of the jars.

Well...I guess it worked out!  These would also look nice at my friend Kate's camp...maybe these will be in her future!

Here is a football update for those of you keeping up:  The team had a scrimmage on Monday and Coach says that they did really well.  After spending yesterday morning reviewing the tape (instead of mowing the yard, loading the dish washer...etc) he said his team is ready for the upcoming season and he feels good about preseason camp!  This friday we have an exhibition game against a new team to the league the Eagles.  Should be a good match up!  Thursday the team will be coming over for an end of preseason camp bbq...I will be posting pictures and recipes from the party!!  (Just as a side note...Coach did make the bed after he watched the tape...not all bad I suppose!)

Thanks for checking me out! Have a great day!  Feel free to follow me on Pintrest!



3 comments:

  1. Love them! Wish I had a glue gun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley! Any time you would like to borrow mine, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for this blog!! And Sunday dinners:)

    ReplyDelete