Monday, August 20, 2012

TAKE IT TO THE HOUSE!

Hello Everyone out there!

My name is Mathy and I am the wife of a high school football coach living in the great State 'O Maine.  I decided to start a blog to share easy recipes, crafts, and my experiences for the toughest 10 weeks of the school year!  Things get hectic around here during the season and I often find myself running the household and taking care of baby by myself....I am also a full time high school teacher.  My plate is full...but I wouldn't change it for anything!  We love football season...practices are every day after school until around 5:30pm and games are either on Friday nights or Saturday afternoons.  Sunday's are  reserved for "coaches meetings" at our house.  There is a lot going on, but I wouldn't want to spend my fall anywhere else then on the sidelines!

Football is a family thing in our home.  Below you'll see out little peanut last season getting ready to run in a touch down.  We are daddy's biggest fans!!



Football season started last week with preseason camp.  A full week of double sessions in the early August heat.  Coach leaves the house at around 1pm and he won't be back until about 9pm.  The baby and I head to school around 5pm to help prepare and serve dinner to the boys as they have a break from their early session.  The baby and I head home, have our own supper, walk the dog, do bath time, bed time, and then mom heads down stairs to straighten up and get ready for the next day.  Doing it all alone is tough, but definitely do-able!

The first recipe I want to share is for really easy burritos....you can mix everything up and cook it well before you're ready to serve...This a quick meal that is super yummy!

Turkey Burritos

1 pound ground Turkey meat
Small Red Onion chopped
Can of Red Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
Can of Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
Can of Corn (drained...I used the store brand of "Southwestern Corn Mix")
Can of Diced Tomatoes with Chilies
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
Taco Seasoning (you can use a home made version or the one in the packet at the grocery store)
2 cups cooked Brown Rice (you can use instant or I use a rice cooker that I love)
Olive Oil
Sour Cream
Shredded Cheese...what ever kind you prefer
Lettuce
Salsa
Whole Wheat Tortilla
Any other Burrito fixins' you and your family likes to use

In a large sauté pan, heat Olive Oil and put onion in the pan...cook until it is clear.  Add the ground turkey meat to the pan and break up as it is cooking.  Once meat is fully cooked, add both cans of beans, corn, and tomatoes...mix well.  At this point I use the taco seasoning packet.  Typically, I only use about half of the packet...so, add and TASTE!  If you need some more, feel free to add it!  Slowly add the Chicken Broth...mixing after each addition.  Let the meat mixture cook down.  You really do not want a watery mixture.  Add the Brown Rice to the meat mixture.

At this point, if you are preparing this well before dinner, you can put the mixture in a container and place in the fridge.  Once it is time to eat, you can heat up on the stove or in the microwave.  This whole meal takes about 30 minutes to make.

When you are ready to serve for dinner....place a portion of meat and rice mixture on tortilla and add any fixins you want...sour cream, salsa, cheese, lettuce, olives, etc!

I just made these last night and forgot to take pictures!!  This is something that I am going to have to get used to doing!


There is a scrimmage tonight, so Coach heads out around 1:30 this afternoon and we won't see him until about 10:30 tonight!  Good luck to him and his boys...the baby and I are sitting this one out and spending some time home tonight.

Stay tuned for more posts and picture this week!  Thank you for taking the time to read my blog!




No comments:

Post a Comment