Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday Funday!


A typical Sunday in our household during football season goes like this: I get up with the baby and get her dressed and ready for the day.  Coach takes her down stairs for breakfast.  I go to 8:30am mass and they have some daddy/daughter bonding time.  When I get home, we go to the grocery store and then I come home and start cooking for the Coaches Meeting.  Once the guys get here, I've lost my Coach and pretty much finish up the laundry, clean, watch the babes, and whatever else needs to get done.  I will say that the guys love the babes, so she hangs with them and "helps" draw up plays.

I am lucky enough to have at least another friend over for Coaches Meeting.  One of the assistant coaches brings his fabulous girl friend.  She loves to pin, and craft, and bake...so we get a long especially well.  This is an example of the difference between the sexes at a Coaches Meeting:
Here are the men...focusing so carefully on next weeks competition by checking out the tape.  During this portion of the event, there is lots of pointing, note taking, and re-living or their own Glory Days..."I would have made that tackle, I could have caught that...."

Here is what we do:
Hahah...ok, not all the time...we sometimes pay attention...but this was just too good!

One of the cool things we've done since we started having the coaches over on Sunday afternoon, is feed them.  This gives me the opportunity to work on some recipes and try some stuff out.  In the fall when it is just a bit cooler, I love to get the crock pot going.  Today might not have been the best day temperature wise to break it out - but I did anyway.  

I made a dish that I've done in the past and it is sort of like a pasta bake or casserole that you make in the crock pot!  I don't have a name for it...maybe you can make some suggestions!

Here is what you will need:
1 lb of ground turkey meat (I use the 93% fat free blend)
1 package of frozen chopped spinach
1 can of pre made pasta sauce (I always have my home made sauce on hand...but there is something about the canned stuff that works better in this recipe....canned sauce - for shame!)
1 lb of uncooked pasta  - I like the medium shells for recipe
Container of Ricotta cheese
Romano Shake cheese 
Shredded Mozzarella 
Italian seasonings

This is what happens when you realize you put everything in the Crock and forgot to take a picture!  Oh well...I am sure you can catch my drift!

Ok, Here's what you do:
Turn on the old Crock Pot and set on low.  Place the ground turkey in the bottom of the Crock.  Use a wooden spoon or spatula to chop up the meat.  I add some seasoning at this point.  I use all your basic Italian friends: basil, oregano, a pinch of crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, and that bottle of Italian Seasonings that has everything that you need!  Next, I put the frozen chopped spinach on top of the meat.  

Now, I am not sure why but my local grocery store did not have Ricotta cheese today.  This makes me very sad.  I don't think it is a specialty item...I'm not sure why they don't have it.  This is the second time I've looked for it and they didn't have it!  So, what to do, what to do?  I bought a container of regular cottage cheese.  I doctored it up with a little bit of garlic salt and some Romano shake cheese.  Mix that well and then pour it over the spinach.  

The coolest part of this meal is that you don't have to pre-cook the pasta.  Just open that box and let 'er rip!  Like I said, I like the medium shells because the cheese gets inside those shells and explodes while you're eating them!  After the pasta is in the pool, open up that can and add it to the mix.  

I set my Crock for 4 hours.  I went back after an hour and stirred everything up.  The meal was done in about 3 hours total.  At this point, mix it up again and if you would like a saucer dish - add another can or half a can of sauce.  About 15 minutes before you are ready to serve, put a nice layer of shredded mozzarella on the top and let it melt!  
Ready to Crock and Roll!!



Again, I know it doesn't look like much...but it is pretty yummy.  I would suggest serving with garlic bread!!

Well, the first Coaches Meeting of the season went really well.  The coaches talked strategy and feel confident going into week 1 of the regular season.  After they left, Coach gave the babes her bath and thanked me for cooking and putting up with the endless football chatter...It doesn't bother me, as long as I can interject my thoughts and ideas.  I am not often right, but I know enough to know what's going on and occasionally I make a good remark...those moments earned me this shirt and I dig in!

Thanks for checking me out...stay tuned for more crafts, recipes, and general commentary on the life of a high school football coach.  We have a busy week coming up with two professional development days and a big road game on Friday.  Should be an interesting week! Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. Looks yum! I'm always looking for crock-pot recipes for hockey season and this one looks waaaaay better than the boring and bland ones in the crock-pot cookbook. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate!! I have a lot of crock pot recipes to share...stay tuned!! Hope you guys are well

    ReplyDelete